- NBA LONDON ON SALE OCT 28
- NBA GMs FORESEE FINALS RE-RUN
- FAGBENLE BACK FOR GB QUALIFIERS
- EUROLEAGUE TIPS OFF WITH SKY DEAL
- PRIDE READY TO BEAM IN WBBL
- NEIGHBOUR MAKING HIMSELF AT HOME AGAIN
- BBL SIGN MEDIA DEAL, OFFER GAME STREAMING
- ACHARA READY FOR NEW ROCKY ROAD
- LAWRENCE READY FOR NEXT STOP
- SMITH OPTS FOR RETIREMENT
EDINBURGH, OTHERS SEEKING BBL SPOTS
- Updated: January 12, 2013
An American businessman has opened talks with the British Basketball League to bring a franchise in Edinburgh.
And it is understood that applications are being drawn up from hopefuls in Bristol, Reading and York as the BBL looks to expand.
Birmingham, Essex Leopards and East London Royals are currently all included in the provisional line-up for next term after all three deferred their planned entries from 2012.
But St. Louis-based Donald Sampley wants to locate a team in the Scottish capital for the first time since the Rocks left in 2002.
“I can confirm that we’ve had some interest but it’s at the early stage of the process,” said BBL chief Andy Webb.
“But the deadline for anyone who is interested in coming in for next season is January 18.”
With London Lions moving to Olympic Park next summer, and Birmingham on track for inclusion following investment in their planned venue, it is thought unlikely that any further clubs will be admitted until 2014.