- NBA PREVIEW: VAN GUNDY/JACKSON Q&A
- DENG WON’T SINK INTO LAKERS MESS
- NBA LONDON ON SALE OCT 28
- NBA GMs FORESEE FINALS RE-RUN
- FAGBENLE BACK FOR GB QUALIFIERS
- EUROLEAGUE TIPS OFF WITH SKY DEAL
- PRIDE READY TO BEAM IN WBBL
- NEIGHBOUR MAKING HIMSELF AT HOME AGAIN
- BBL SIGN MEDIA DEAL, OFFER GAME STREAMING
- ACHARA READY FOR NEW ROCKY ROAD
LAVERY BACK AT CHESHIRE PHOENIX
- Updated: May 2, 2013
Cheshire Phoenix have named John Lavery as head coach, replacing Matt Lloyd.
It will be a second BBL stint for the Englishman after previously guiding the Cheshire Jets in 2011-12 before being abruptly dropped last summer, just weeks before the start of the campaign.
In his prior spell, he took the Jets to sixth place in the league and taking his team to the semi-final of the BBL Championship play-offs and the quarter-final of the BBL Cup.
“It was actually an easy decision to make,” said Lavery. “With a strong board and one of the best fan bases in the league, we share the same beliefs and passions – it’s a good fit all round.
“When I met the board, one of the first things I said was that I wanted to come back to win things, win some silverware and compete with the top teams in the league and right away we all agreed that we were on the same page!
“Stability is crucial and they have the right foundations in place. The recruitment starts now and my top priority at the moment is to get the right team on court.”
Lloyd, who took over mid-season, led Cheshire to eleventh place in the league following a short stint at the helm by Chez Marks.