- WORLD CUP LOGO UNVEILED
- RIDERS BLOW PLYMOUTH APART
- DENG’S STOCK AT LAKERS SINKS
- HESSON, VAN OOSTRUM SIDELINED
- ANTHONY DAVIS TALKS ALL STAR
- EUROBASKET 2017 SCHEDULE ANNOUNCED
- 2017 NBA ALL STAR STARTERS UNVEILED
- EAGLES MAKE IT THREE TIMES THE CHARM
- MANCHESTER PRODUCE MAGIC ACT
- FINCH FINDS NUGGETS IN GOLDEN RISE
EAGLES, WOLVES ARE WEMBLEY BOUND
- Updated: May 4, 2014
Newcastle Eagles and Worcester Wolves punched their tickets to Wembley for next Sunday’s BBL Play-Off Final after coming through their semi-finals on Sunday evening.
Having lost the first leg to Leicester Riders by 11 points, Eagles bounced back with a dominant performance in the return. But it needed overtime to end the visitors’ hopes of defending their title with Newcastle claiming an 83-71 victory after overtime to win the tie by a single point.
Riders’ big man Rashad Hassan tied the aggregate score with a basket with four seconds to spare in regulation, but the league champions prevailed in the extra period.
Meanwhile, Wolves managed to defend their 20-point first-leg advantage and sailed to the Final with a 67-60 win against Sheffield, despite some early-game stutters.
With 1:50 left in the first half, Sharks increased their lead to 39-24 and got within five points of Wolves on aggregate. However it would be as close as the guests got, as Alex Owumi rattled in a three-pointer to spark a 7-0 spurt to finish the period as the Trophy winners asserted their control.