- NEW PLANS PROMISE TRANSFORMATION
- BBL GETS ONE-YEAR LICENCE DEAL
- CSKA REPEL FENER TO WIN EUROLEAGUE
- FORCE ALREADY CHASING NEW LEEDS
- SHARKS GIVE HOGG AN OPEN SHOT
- SHEFFIELD SURGE TO BBL PLAYOFF TITLE
- FOR LEEDS, FORCE IS WITH THEM
- RIDERS HAVE CHAMPION FEELING
- 14 NATIONS GIVEN FIBA BANS
- FAGBENLE DRAFTED BY WNBA’S LYNX
EAGLES, WOLVES ARE WEMBLEY BOUND
- Updated: May 4, 2014
Newcastle Eagles and Worcester Wolves punched their tickets to Wembley for next Sunday’s BBL Play-Off Final after coming through their semi-finals on Sunday evening.
Having lost the first leg to Leicester Riders by 11 points, Eagles bounced back with a dominant performance in the return. But it needed overtime to end the visitors’ hopes of defending their title with Newcastle claiming an 83-71 victory after overtime to win the tie by a single point.
Riders’ big man Rashad Hassan tied the aggregate score with a basket with four seconds to spare in regulation, but the league champions prevailed in the extra period.
Meanwhile, Wolves managed to defend their 20-point first-leg advantage and sailed to the Final with a 67-60 win against Sheffield, despite some early-game stutters.
With 1:50 left in the first half, Sharks increased their lead to 39-24 and got within five points of Wolves on aggregate. However it would be as close as the guests got, as Alex Owumi rattled in a three-pointer to spark a 7-0 spurt to finish the period as the Trophy winners asserted their control.