ENGLAND ADVANCE BRITISH CHANGES

Basketball England are set to press ahead with their own plan for the sport as the stand-off with British Basketball continues.

It is understood a conference call involving a section of BE’s board failed to reverse their wish to see a slimmed-down federation despite a failure to land unanimous backing from those involved.

Although discussions are said to be “ongoing”, the outline tenets of their proposal, compiled following the call, are expected to be turned into a firm submission next week.

As MVP previously revealed, it would involve a volunteer secretary-general and severe budget reductions.

The cuts, tabbed for £110,000 according to initial figures, would see Great Britain’s Under-20 withdrawn from international competition with no performance director contracted to oversee the pathways.

British Basketball sources confirmed they will continue to oppose the proposal which counters a well-received plan to deliver an operational merger with the BBL in a bid to upgrade the infrastructure, improve oversight and governance and deliver badly-needed commercial revenues.

Basketball Scotland and Wales are expected to support the English proposal.

In a statement released on Saturday evening, BE said: “Basketball England will not be making any further comments on recent media articles whilst our GB athletes are competing during the current international window.

“As the home nations continue to work with the stakeholders involved, we are confident that a sustainable and long term solution will be reached.”

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • MySpace
  • Print

You must be logged in to post a comment Login