Image courtesy: Graham Virtue

Mersey Tigers moved four points clear at the head of the BBL as they defeated the Worcester Wolves 95-73 at the Echo Arena.

The league leaderswere held close in the early going, but after a 16-4 burst in the opening period to take the score out to 27-14 they never trailed again in the game.  The visitors managed to get back to within two points at 45-43 heading towards the half-time interval, but a 16-5 burst for the home side in the third quarter took the score out to 75-57 heading into the final stanza.

A 12-2 burst in the final period gave the home side their biggest lead of the game at 89-66 and, led by 20 points from Tafari Toney, they held on for the all-important victory.

Plymouth Raiders picked up a 112-77 victory over the Worthing Thunder at the Pavilions.

Runs of 14-5 and 10-2 in the third period ended all hope for Worthing getting themselves back into the game as the Raiders took the score out to 77-55 heading into the final period.  The hosts – paced by 22 apiece from Chez Marks and Evaldas Zabas – also enjoyed themselves from behind the arc as they shot an impressive 75% from three-point range in the game.

Saturday: Wolves break skid

Worcester Wolves ended their four-game skid on Saturday night with a 111-95 victory over Guildford Heat behind 35 points from Rod Middleton.

The in-form Heat began solidly and led 8-6 before Worcester seized control. A 14-3 run with six points each from Middleton and Callum Jones, gave them a 22-11 lead. Guildford rallied to close to 25-19 but Middleton ended the quarter with a three to take it 28-19.

There was no let up in the second period as Justin Dobbins and Daniel Gilbert stretched the Wolves lead back into double-digits again. Middleton was again proving a tough match-up for Heat as he scored seven points in the quarter – the last three making it 56-39 at half time.

Wolves continued to pile on the points during the third quarter. A Middleton three sparked a 17-4 burst to take the score to 73-47. Dobbins scored eight points in this stretch with three assists from Middleton.

Heat could only contain Worcester for the rest of the period, although a Mike Martin three did reduce the deficit slightly to 88-67 with the final stanza to play.

An 8-0 opening to the fourth quarter by Worcester ended any hopes of a Heat recovery. The home team’s lead peaked at 103-72 on a Middleton bucket.

Guildford made the score respectable by ending the match with a 23-8 burst, but it was little more than stat-sheet filling for the well-beaten visitors.

Wolves head coach Paul James was understandably delighted with his team’s performance. He said:  “This victory has been a long time coming. We have been playing well and have had the opportunities – tonight we took them. I’m really pleased for the players and our supporters.”

Mersey Tigers moved two points clear at the top of the table with a narrow 83-77 win over Leicester Riders.

Tafari Toney led the Liverpudlians with 22 points and 9 rebounds, adding two free-throws with 18 seconds left that saw off a late rally from the hosts.

Rob Paternostro’s men had been on the backfoot for most of the match and trailed by 11 early in the fourth quarter. However, six points by Ryan Zamroz in a 19-7 run gave Leicester a 72-71 lead and it seemed as though they could snatch the win.

Tigers, though, rebounded and once Nate Reinking had put them ahead with a three in the final minute a combination of Toney and Andrew Sullivan kept their cool from the free throw line.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • MySpace
  • Print

You must be logged in to post a comment Login