Gareth Murray admits he felt the highs and lows in a single weekend.

Glasgow Rocks broke their BBL Championship duck on Sunday with an incredible fightback to snatch a 63-61 overtime win at Plymouth Raiders.

It was sparked by heroics from player-coach Murray who played all 45 minutes and scored a game-high 21 points as he continues his rookie campaign in charge at the Emirates Arena.

It was the veteran Great Britain forward’s three-pointer that put the Scots ahead for good with 66 seconds left after they had trailed by 17 in the third quarter.

After suffering a 96-54 rout at Bristol on Saturday, it was the most unlikely of responses from Glasgow who were forced to take an 11-hour bus ride home from Devon with no flights available.

Murray admitted: “I knew I needed to play. I had to make changes and once I was out there, I couldn’t come out. Saturday was one of the worst feelings I’ve ever had in basketball. We had a spell where the guys gave up.

“I told the guys to take a long look in the mirror because Bristol did whatever they wanted and our guys didn’t care. But to go from that to beating Plymouth, there’s no better feeling.”

The rapid turnaround moved the Rocks off the foot of the British Basketball League standings, with no teams now left winless.

Murray, now 36, had played just 53 minutes over the five previous games but his defensive know-how underlined why he was an ever-present under a succession of GB coaches, with his long-time team-mate Jonny Bunyan accompanying him on court for every second of the contest.

It had looked all but certain that another defeat would come when Plymouth, with a deep squad lavishly funded by their billionaire Turkish owners, used a 14-2 run to move as much as 44-27 in front.

Yet Murray capped a 15-2 rally in the fourth and then his three tied the game at 54-54 at the close of regulation.

And with Plymouth short-handed due to foul trouble, Scotland forward Fraser Malcolm iced a vital free throw with 12 seconds left before Raiders guard Elvisi Dusha missed a lay-up that would have forced double OT as time expired and the visitors began their celebrations.

And Murray conceded: “I’m delighted because it wasn’t easy.”


Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • MySpace
  • Print

You must be logged in to post a comment Login